Prof. Roger Spear, one of EMES founding members, has shared the call for Papers “Cooperatives in transitions facing crisis” launched in the framework of the European Cooperatives Research Conference to be held on 7-9 July 2021 in a digital format.
The cooperative form of social enterprise has always been a central theme in the work of EMES research, not only as a foundational concept for EMES, but also in research on social and environmental cooperatives, such as RESCoop20-20-20 project (Renewable Energy Sources Cooperatives). This ongoing dialogue between members of the social economy family continues to bear fruit in this major online research conference. Organised by the European Cooperatives Research Network, which includes many EMES members, it aims to deepen the understanding of cooperative resilience facing crises, including health, environmental, employment, digital, and sustainability crises.
Key issues include:
- How does the cooperative movement contribute to sustainable and solidarity societies?
- How does the cooperative anticipate and respond to the new business, reinvent innovative solutions for a sustainable and solidarity future?
- How to characterize the democratic work of cooperatives and their effects, both from the point of view of organization, territories and emancipation?
- The Conference will explore how cooperatives addresses current global issues and challenges, such as improve sustainable development, reduce income and wealth inequality, enhance gender equality and the future of work.
- The competitive advantage of cooperative democracy, business performance, market share, best governance and digital divide will also be explored.
Current panel sessions planned of particular interest to EMES researchers include: Worker coops as tool for labour market inclusion, the Cooperative form of WISEs, and Sustainable Innovation in Rural Areas.
The International Cooperative Alliance (ICA) European Research Conference will be held online from 7-8-9 July 2021.
Due to requests, and the turbulent times we face currently, the abstracts submission deadline has been extended to 7 May 2021.