He received his Ph.D. in political science at University of Missouri- St. Louis, USA, in 1994.
Since the mid of the 1990s, he has completed over twenty research projects with respect to the governance of NPO in Taiwan, the role and function played by NPO in the social and economic development of Taiwanese society, the impact of the grass-root NPO on the development of civil society in Taiwan, and most importantly, the comparison of social enterprises’ development and characteristics between Taiwan and Hong Kong.
Prof. Kuan’s recent publication includes The Governance of Social Enterprise: A Comparison of Taiwan and Hong Kong (co-editor). Kaohsiung: Chu-Liu Book Company, 2016. The Non-profit Sector: Organization and Operation (co-editor). Taipei: Chu-Liu Book Company, 2016; A Historical Review of the Family Helper Project in Taiwan . Taichung: Taiwan Fund for Children and Families, 2010; Non-profit Organizations and Evaluation: Theories and Practices (co-editor). Taipei: Hung Yeh Book Company, 2008.
Prof. Kuan is currently the President of Taiwan Association of Third Sector Research, and was the general secretary (2001-2005) and chairman (2007-2010) of Taiwanese Social Welfare Association and the executive board member and Vice Chairman of ChildFund Alliance (2009-2013).
He has served on the Board of Taiwan Fund for Children and Families, the largest child welfare NPO in Taiwan, since 2003, and also has served on the Board of Children Are Us Foundation since 2013.
- Kuan, Y. Y., and Wang, S. T. (2016), “Public Policy Measures and Promotion of Social Enterprises in Taiwan,” chapter 5, in Chandra, Y., and Wong, L. (eds.), Social Entrepreneurship in the Greater China Region. London and New York: Routledge.
- Kuan, Y. Y., and Wang, S. T. (2015), “Social Enterprise in Taiwan”, ICSEM Working Papers, No. 13, Liege: The International Comparative Social Enterprise Models (ICSEM) Project.
- Wang, S. T., Kuan, Y. Y., and Chan, K.T. (2014), “The Resource Mobilization of Community-Based Social Enterprises in Taiwan”, The Hong Kong Journal of Social Work, Vol. 48(3), 3-27.
- Kuan, Y. Y., Chan, K. T., and Wang, S. T. (2014), “The Governance of Social Enterprise in Taiwan: An Analysis Based on 2010 Survey Findings and Four Cases”, Journal of Public Administration, No.47, pp. 1-33.
- Kuan, Y. Y., and Wang, S. T. (2013/03), “Social Enterprises in Taiwan: Characteristics, Development Trend, and Effect”, NPUST Humanities and Social Sciences Research, Vol.7, No.1, pp. 102-126.