EMES International Research Network (EMES)
Western University of Timisoara (WUT)
With the support of the EFESEIIS project
After three successful editions of the EMES PhD Summer Schools, at the University of Corsica (France) in 2008, Roskilde University (Denmark) in 2010, and University of Trento (Italy) in 2012, the fourth edition will be held in Timisoara (Romania) in July 2014.
The previous editions constituted outstanding successes, with over 120 students from over 31 countries taking part in the summer schools, the publication of a PhD Reader, the launching of an EMES PhD Student Network in 2008 and the creation of a dedicated blog (EMES Junior Experts Blog) in 2011. Moreover, at the beginning of 2013 EMES became a global network of researchers interested in social enterprise, with a dedicate membership category for PhD students.
At a time of profound transformation in the way research and policy are conceived, organized and implemented, the fourth EMES PhD Summer School will seek to introduce innovative approaches to the study of social enterprise. To do so, the three “SE pillars” – as termed by EMES’ researchers in the first EMES PhD Reader -, which include social enterprise and social entrepreneurship, social economy and solidarity economy will continue to function as conceptual anchors for the theoretical and practical discussions and workshops to be held during these four days. In addition, social innovation will be incorporated into the Summer School as a key notion currently driving numerous research and policy initiatives including social enterprise. Interesting ongoing or recently completed research projects will be incorporated into the Summer School as valuable resources to illustrate the most innovative research on the SE pillars, social innovation and the third sector.
The EMES International Research Network (EMES) has thrived on exploring the similarities and differences – as well as the inter-relational dynamics – between the various SE flags, as well as the possible dialogues established with approaches like social innovation. As the interest in the specific forms the initiatives take and the contexts in which they emerge continues to grow, approaches from around the world are taken into account in order to grasp the complexity of this phenomenon.
In this context, EMES and Western University Timisoara jointly organise the fourth EMES PhD Summer School aimed at young researchers at PhD and advanced Masters levels who are attracted to conduct research in the wide fields of social entrepreneurship and social enterprise, social economy and solidarity economy. With this event, EMES and WUT aim to:
- Maintain a strong focus on participants learning about disciplinary evolutions, including major theoretical approaches and debates in the field (social economy and solidarity economy, NPO theories, social entrepreneurs, social entrepreneurship and social enterprise);
- Strengthen the training of PhD students by means of methodological and theoretical lectures, debates, and professional and social media workshops,
- Emphasize the research design and methodology involved in any research project, specifically in a doctoral path;
- Provide personalised feedback and support via well-supported small group discussion sessions on participants’ research projects, their research questions, approaches and theoretical understandings; more precisely, in addition to various opportunities of informal discussion, at least a full hour will be devoted to every student’s research project within group sessions (for presentation by the student, feed-back by professors and other group’s members, discussion and synthesis of recommendations);
- Provide space for social and intellectual discussion so that doctoral students will have ample opportunity to establish and expand their own peer networks and benefit from contacts and feedback from established scholars;
- Encouraging the international dimension of study and participation, since exchanges with researchers from different countries and continents can support stimulating and fertile reflections on research approaches.
The faculty body will include well-known professors from recognised research centres covering a wide spectrum of research themes, and this multi-disciplinary approach will represent a major strength for the participating doctoral students. We will also aim to maintain a high level of relevance and topicality by ensuring that discussions and debates are located within the current profound crisis of capitalism, where the three SE pillars offer a viable and socially innovative response for the different regions of the world.
- Andrea Bassi – University of Bologna, Italy
- Nicolae Bibu (chair) – Western University Timisoara, Romania
- Taco Brandsen – Radboud Nijmegen University, The Netherlands
- Melinda Dinca – Western University Timisoara, Romania
- Bernard Enjolras – Institute for Social Research, Norway
- Adalbert Evers – Justus Liebig University Giessen, Germany
- Silvia Ferreira – University of Coimbra, Portugal
- Giulia Galera – European Research Institute on Cooperative and Social Enterprises, Italy
- Lars Hulgård – Roskilde University, Denmark
- Benjamin Huybrechts – University of Liege, Belgium
- Carmen Marcuello – University of Zaragoza, Spain
- Marthe Nyssens (chair) – Catholic University of Louvain, Belgium
- Pekka Pattiniëmi – Finnish Social Enterprise Research Network FinSERN
- Anaïs Perilleux – Catholic University of Louvain, Belgium
- Victor Pestoff – Ersta Sköndal högskola, Sweden
- Simon Teasdale – Glasgow Caledonian University, United Kingdom
All the academic activities of the Summer School will take place at the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration (FEAA), West University of Timisoara (Romania), 16 J. H. Pestalozzi Street, 300115, Timisoara, Romania
More information on how to reach the Summer School venue will soon be published. In the meantime, you can read about the host organization here: http://www.uvt.ro
Application and registration
Applications to participate in the Summer School are accepted until March 3rd, 2014. In order to apply, please download and complete the Application Form available on the right column on this page. The result of the selection process will be communicated to the applicants by March 31st, 2014.
The summer school offers four registration options, depending on the country of origin of the applicants and whether the participant is a member of EMES:
EMES Members Non-EMES members
Full fee (OECD countries) 350 € 425 €
Reduced fee (Other countries) 150 € 225 €
The registration fee includes participation in all seminars and lectures, on-campus accommodation for four nights in a single room, full board (all meals and coffee breaks), and teaching material.
- Closing date for applications: March 3rd, 2014
- Results of the selection process by March 31st, 2014
- If accepted, participants must formalize their registration by May 5th, 2014
- Start of the Summer School: June 29th, 2014
Please email us at 4summerschool_at_emes.net